Surah 19 - Maryam

11:00 Edit This 25 Comments »

Surah 19 - Maryam
(This is) a mention of the mercy of your Lord to His slave Zakariya (Zachariah).
When he called out his Lord (Allah) a call in secret,
Saying: "My Lord! Indeed my bones have grown feeble, and grey hair has spread on my head, And I have never been unblest in my invocation to You, O my Lord!
"And Verily! I fear my relatives after me, since my wife is barren. So give me from Yourself an heir,
"Who shall inherit me, and inherit (also) the posterity of Ya'qub (Jacob) (inheritance of the religious knowledge and Prophethood, not the wealth, etc.). And make him, my Lord, one with whom You are Well-pleased!".
Allah said) "O Zakariya (Zachariah)! Verily, We give you the glad tidings of a son, His name will be Yahya (John). We have given that name to none before (him)."
He said: "My Lord! How can I have a son, when my wife is barren, and I have reached the extreme old age."
He said: "So (it will be). Your Lord says; It is easy for Me. Certainly I have created you before, when you had been nothing!"
[Zakariya (Zachariah)] said: "My Lord! Appoint for me a sign." He said: "Your sign is that you shall not speak unto mankind for three nights, though having no bodily defect."
Then he came out to his people from Al-Mihrab (a praying place or a private room, etc.), he told them by signs to glorify Allah's Praises in the morning and in the afternoon.
It was said to his son): "O Yahya (John)! Hold fast the Scripture [the Taurat (Torah)]." And We gave him wisdom while yet a child.
And (made him) sympathetic to men as a mercy (or a grant) from Us, and pure from sins [i.e. Yahya (John)] and he was righteous,
And dutiful towards his parents, and he was neither an arrogant nor disobedient (to Allah or to his parents).
And Salamun (peace) be on him the day he was born, the day he dies, and the day he will be raised up to life (again)!
(Surah 19, Verses 2 – 15)

SubhanaAllah, What a beautiful Ayat! For all those brothers and sisters going through the heartache of conceiving this is definitely a sign of hope. It is Allah’s will that decides whether we have a child or not. Not medical problems, society or infertility. This is not to say that one shouldn’t exhaust all halah methods of trying to conceive like IVF. InshaAllah, if we are meant to have a child then it will happen. Miracles do happen – Look at Zakariya and his barren, old wife. Apparently, I’ve been advised she was 99 years old!

This has been a hard issue for me because I’ve wanted a child for so long. (Please see previous posts). Recently, I’ve found out a colleague at work and two aunts are pregnant. I felt happy for them and thought about what a wonderful gift bestowed on them by Allah, the Generous. I struggled with the knowledge that some didn’t expect the pregnancy or that it didn’t take long for them to conceive. A child is a gift from Allah the Almighty and they bring their own baraka (rewards). My aunt is struggling financially and subhanaAllah the foetus through Allah SWT brought some money in via my cousin (who doesn’t do this thing often). May Allah reward her for her efforts.

When I found out the pregnancy of these ladies, I struggled with my own need for a child. The idea that there must be something biologically wrong with me coupled with the desperation to fix it. I wanted to join their club. I wanted to be pregnant too. A possible solution could have been metformin. This is prescribed to some diabetics to help them conceive. The statistics are promising but unfortunately I haven’t been able to tolerate these tablets. I’ve recently been given the liquid version of metformin. I only took it once and I slightly struggled with it. It wasn’t as bad as the tablets. However, I have put this on hold until I get further medical advice.

Yahya is a symbol for all of us. It’s a sign of Allah SWT almighty power and the gifts he can bestow on who ever he wishes. However, sabr is keen with the understanding that certain things are beyond our wisdom. That is Allah knows best. As I was travelling to work, all I kept thinking was I need to listen to Surah Maryam. When I switched on the IPod and read the Ayat above, the tears started flowing out. Then the release emerged. It felt so good. Allah gave me hope in my heart. InshaAllah if it is meant to be then no medical problem or anything else (i.e. psychological), which could be stopping conception, can prevent Allah SWT from grant you or me a child. I also recommend getting a copy of Sisters Magazine with the article “Barren but blessed”. It is a moving, touching real life story of a sister’s struggle to have a baby. This has also kept me going because she says towards the end of the article (apologies for spoiling it for those that like to find things out for themselves) that she is so happy Allah SWT didn’t give her her own child as adoption gave her something better. SubhanaAllah.

Please make dua for all those struggling with fertility including me!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

MashAllah what a beautiful post.

InshaAllah, sis you will too have a little Yahya. :-)

XOXOXOXO

Happy Muslim Mama said...

Assalam-alaikam darling,

I know I will be an aunty one day, I have no doubts insh'Allah.

Big Sis said...

InshaAllah sis

Unknown said...

Salaam Sis, May allah reward you for your patience and keeping steadfast. I too am in your situation as are many others, Allah swt is the knower what is best for us nd also when the right time is for us, truly Allah swt loves those whom he put to tests more. x tc ws Noreen :D

desertmom said...

Salam,
This post was so touching. May Allah reward you for your patience. InshaAllah.......

Anonymous said...

Assalam-alaikam

your post has been so touching, I am listening to surah maryam as i amtyping this.

I too make dua that Allah grants me a baby, I ahve been having problems concieving. You will b in my dua.

Anonymous said...

Aslam o Alakium,

i am also struggling sis .I will make dua for you and please pray for me as well.

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Everyone Who Hopefully Are Following These Comments:

See Big Sis's latest post! She has her Yahya! Subhan'Allah!

Duas for the rest of us!/Ameen!

Anonymous said...

please pray for me i am straggling last 15 years but did not succed.i stat surah maryam but idont know how many days i need to reed if any one khow please let me know.

Mohammed H said...

I haven't been a good muslim lately and now that we're closer to ramadan I have a huge force convincing me to go back into it. I just finished reading the surah whilst listening to the recitation from Sudais and for the very first time in my life I cried over a surah in the Holy Quran. I'm overly emotional right now and hope never to deviate from the path of the righteous.

Afzal Rahim Khan Yusufzai said...

Please pray for me. I have tried each & every way but nothing is working. Waiting for all you wonderful people out there wishes for a Yahya [:)]

Anonymous said...

Today when I read your feelings , I felt as you are writing my own feelings. Do you know , I love surah mariyam ESP these ayats which you mentioned. I'm patient of endometriosis and the only way to conceive is laprotomy and then icsi. Drs say so. But I believe in Allah. I daily recite loudly first half portion of surah mariyam , it soothes me. It makes me hopeful. There are some prayers of hazrat zikriya in surah ambiya. I recite them. Then the prayer of hazrat ayub AS. I wanna add here that I recite surah al-Noor's ayat. Allah Noor us samawat ul araz. (Allah is the light of heaves and earth).
It is my routine to recite all these parts of Quran. And I loved to hear from you that you too have so strong faith and hope.
May Allah , the lord of heavens and earth, bless us with pious, healthy and lucky children.ameen.
Mrs aisha

Anonymous said...

Recite ya Baariu , ya Khaliqu, ya Musawaru.
And I recite ,with conviction and depth,surah fatiha after fajar prayer. 41 times. With drood Shareef.
Dear fellows, ask from Allah. It is the only way. Having hope.
One thing v important. Avoid those things which can creat infertility . As avoid chicken. It is almost haram now.as I feel so. Or if you have ur own chicken at home or at village , only then take.it's feed becomes from blood , then how our hormones can remain balanced.
Try to eat vegetables and fruits more. Or fish. Avoid junk food and cheese.
And pray.The most important.
For me and for urself.

Farah said...

Asalamu Alaikum sis,

Your blogs have brought me so much hope and really made me feel at ease. My husband and I have been struggling to conceive as well. We have tried fertility drugs, but so far no success. Thank you so much for the encouragement :)

Anonymous said...

My husband and i had been trying for almost two years.. and each month i checked i felt infertile and listened to advices of others to try one medical method or the other.. but i remained strict in my belief that if the problem was with me then Allah will fix it without me rushing to different doctors.. so last ramzan i prayed and prayed to Allah and repeated the dua written in Quran (Rabbli habbli milla dunka zurriyatan tayyibatan innaka sami udua) and realised that Allah will only grant you something if you truly and whole heartedly without a single doubt believe that He will.. and each time i had a period pain i removed the little doubt at the back of my mind the second it appeared and repeated that i trust Allah that He will grant me a child.. and i repeated these words throughout the month.. i didnt tell anyone, not even my husband.. because people around you will always put you in doubt.. i waited till two weeks after my date and without checking if i really was pregnant i revealed the news to my sister.. when she asked me if i chkd.. i told her i dont need to.. i trust my Creator that He has given me a child... and the next morning while i took the test i remained positive and hopeful.. quashing any single hint of doubt or question of what if im not?.. and now thank Allah SWT im about to reach the end of my third trimester and i read your article... i couldnt help the tears in my eyes and the dua that came from my heart for you and all my sisters here.. i will pray for all of you that Allah grant you children.. and inshAllah He will... remain hopeful and trust Him even if the facts are contradictory

Anonymous said...

thankyou everyone pllease pray foe me

Anonymous said...

Asalaamu Alaikum,
As I sat here doing my dhikrs of "la illaha illah anta subhanaka inni kuntu mina dhalimin", I was reading this post. After I was finished reading it I was immediately in tears. Subhanullah. Your story is beautiful and may Allah ta'ala reward you so much in this life and the hereafter for reminding us to always remember Him and to always put Him first. My husband and I have been married for about 2 and a half years and we've been trying to conceive for the past 7 months. Insha'Allah it'll happen one day soon. I will try to read and/or listen to surah Maryam every day in hopes that it'll help me in conceiving my Yahya. Insha'Allah, Allah ta'ala will allow us to be blessed with motherhood in this world and the next. My our offsprings be the light of Islam and uphold the Islamic Banner high with pride. Ameen Ya Rabbil Alameen!

Unknown said...

pray for me too to have a son jazakallah

Unknown said...

pray for me too to have a son jazakallah

Anonymous said...

Please pray for me too

Aliasha said...

After 6 years trying to conceive I finally got pregnant 3 weeks after I visited Priest Aluta website http://voodoospell.webs.com/ / It was simply amazing. I had history of recurrent miscarriages and was also diagnosed with genetic problems but using your system I got pregnant with your herbs at age 44& after 2 HSGs and 4 negative IUIs including 6 induction Clomid cycles and laparscopy. God will bless you and your good work more and more. I am recommending your program to all my friends contact him today to get pregnant visit his website http://voodoospell.webs.com/

rafinnah said...

I want to use this means to let the world know that all hope is not lost Getting pregnant after having tubes clamped and burned, I know IVF and Reversal could help but it way too cost, i couldn't afford it either and i so desire to add another baby to my family been trying for 5 years, not until i came across Priest Babaka, who cast a pregnancy/Fertility spell for me and i got pregnant.l hope that women out there who are going through the same fears and worries l went through in GETTING PREGNANT , will find your contact as i drop it here on this site, and solution will come to them as they contact you. Thank you and God bless you to reach him email via: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or facebook at priestly.babaka

Unknown said...

Subhannaallah it's ten years later now and I am married now with the grace of Allah. I have found out I have endometriosis and I am trying to come to terms with it. I am very 25 and freshly wed. I kept feeling in my heart ya Allah give me sabre give me peace and contentment with whatever you choose for me and subhanallah I was just listening tk some recitation and surat mariam came up. I wanted to refresh my memory and read the translation as I listened and your article popped up. It is like Allah swt is looking out for me and directing me to places where I can find peace. I know this is an old article and you most likely are not active anymore but I'm still going to say I do dua that 10 years later (now) you have your hearts desire if it best for you and that ya Allah swt bestowed you with success and joy ameen. Truly we are blessed put Lord is always looking after us. Shukar Allah.

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Unknown: May Allaah ta’ala give you shifaa with the endometriosis. I understand there are many advanced treatments nowadays, and Insha Allaah one of them will be successful for you. Keep faith, for as you’ve read on this sister’s blog, Allaah ta’ala does give gifts from Sources unimaginable. Trust Him, and keep asking!

john winchester said...

Great article .Thanks for sharing this wonderful post and stay blessed